Monday, November 15, 2010

The Great Outdoors

Serving an Ace - no doubt.
Lately, I’ve become extremely bored with the classes offered at the gym and the dreaded gym machines. So instead of me allowing that to be an excuse, reverting back to old habits, and becoming a couch potato. I’ve decided to take advantage of the mild, beautiful, fall weather and take my exercise routine outdoors.

Last week, I had a blast playing outdoors with my 17-year old daughter, Jasmyn. To get our bodies warmed up, we started our play session by jogging a few laps around the track. Aw…What a feeling – fresh air hitting me in the face, a light perspiration building on my forehead, and my baby girl sprinting ahead of me. After our warm-up we took to the tennis courts. I loved the sound of the ball leaving the racquet and our tennis shoes squeaking on the hard court. I’ll admit my game is pretty weak, so the rallies were almost non-existent, but you could feel the love in the air. Me and my girl on a perfect fall day hitting tennis balls – nothing sweeter than that. To cap off our day, we ended with a little one-on-one in basketball. She’ll admit Mama’s transition shot is wicked. Ha. What a fun-filled active day we had together. We weren’t sitting in the house watching TV, on the computer, or stuffing our faces with high caloric food. We were out getting our exercise on! Not only was it great fun, but it was great bonding time for us - mother and daughter. I’m leading by example. I’m showing my daughter how to live an active, healthy lifestyle. Long gone are the days of me sitting around making excuses – I’m firmly in charge. I make the decisions about my health and fitness, and my daughter’s too. Match point!
All smiles

Side note: Most people don’t know this about me, but when I grow up, I secretly want to be a tennis star. What a beautiful, competitive sport. It takes stamina, precision, and guts to win. It’s win or go home every time you step on the court and you're the only one out there on your side. Love it! Without a doubt, my love for the game rubbed off on Jasmyn and she’s played on the JV and Varsity team for her high school all four years now. She even lettered in JV, hopefully this year she’ll letter in Varsity too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News