Monday, June 13, 2011

Regret Nothing

Last week, I had the pleasure of attending my daughter's Senior Awards Night and Commencement Ceremony. There were plenty of proud families and loved ones in the audience. The speeches were the typical "Go forth and prosper."

As I sat in the auditorium my heart filled with pride and a great sense of accomplishment. I have raised a beautiful young woman who speaks French and Spanish, plays tennis, volunteers, and knows how to cook, clean, and do laundry. She learned these things under my guidance, but there's a whole scary world awaiting her. I won't always be there to help her figure things out.  She'll have to learn how to manuever on her own. She has her whole life ahead of her -- they (Class of 2011) have their whole lives ahead of them. So much
promise, hope for their futures. There is only so much text books can teach them Only so much their parents can teach them. Some things, most things are learned through trial and error. What will they do with themselves? Will they seize the opportunities?

Of course, the ceremonies also made me reflect on my life and the past 21 years since I graduated from high school. Surely, I regret some of my decisions. I realize the path I've traveled whether I planned it or not was the path that I was suppose to travel. When I graduated from high school I weighed 300 lbs. and eventually over the years I ballooned up to nearly 400 lbs. Do I regret that? Yes and no. I abused myself. I let food become my everything -- it consumed me.  I realize, however, good or bad, being morbidly obese is a part of who I am. I made a very conscience decision though to change. That's the beauty of life - second chances. I no longer want to live my life full of excuses.  I want to seize the opportunities. I want to live life to the fullest. I want to regret nothing. Here's to the Class of 2011 graduates -- go forth and prosper. Seize your opportunities. Regret nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News