Monday, July 1, 2013

Better for it

It's a love/hate relationship. Despite not really like working out. I like working out. Yeah, I know that's a contradictory statement. Allow me to try and explain.

The physical act of working out I don't necessarily like so much. I mean huffing, puffing, sweating. Eeew. And for me cardio is the worse. Sure, there may be break through moments when I feel invigorated as I ride up a steep hill. Or when I'm on the treadmill and I get the runner's high. But mostly working out for me is no fun. I can think of many other things I'd rather do, for starters -- sleep in. I faithfully wake up at 4:15 a.m. at least three times a week to go to the gym. Why? Oh, why?

See the thing is I lived most of my life overweight and sedentary. It wasn't until 2009 I started a bid to lose weight and take control of my health. Over the course of the last four years I strung together about three and a half solid years of working out consistently. After stumbling and falling off the workout wagon, read a previous post here I now realize how important working out is to me. I never want to return to that sedentary lifestyle ever, ever again.

Despite the huffing, puffing, sweating, and overall discomfort -- working out makes me feel better. My outlook, my perspective is more positive when I exercise. I'm more upbeat, energetic. I move better. I sleep better. I'm more focused. I think better.  I am better. So, today I realize that I don't particularly like working out and it probably won't get easier, read a previous post here, but I workout it because overall I'm better for it -- mentally, physically, emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News