Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Habits

Despite not wanting to. I did. 

Sleepy. Low energy. Unenthused. I went.

See, the thing is I'm just now getting back into a workout routine.  So, I don't want to miss a workout -- especially because of a lame excuse like I'm sleepy.

I'm trying to form a habit. Forming a habit takes consistency. You know, doing the same thing again and again. Over and over. Day in. Day out. And when it comes to working out -- doing it even when you don't want to.
 
To establish a routine and form a habit -- here's my approach:

- I've started with a small goal. I don't want to overwhelm myself.  Three times a week for now. Once the routine is engrained. I'll add another class or two (Yoga, Weight Training, etc.).

- I'll attend the same class (5:30 a.m. Cycling M,W,F) for a month. This establishes a pattern. Once the habit is formed I'll be more flexible on days and  times.
 
- First day, I introduced myself to the instructor.  This gives me someone to be accountable to. Even if I let myself down. I won't let him down.

- The night before, I set out my workout clothes, underclothes, socks, tennis shoes, towel, and fill water bottle. Preparation equals success. Besides, it gives me a few extra minutes to sleep in.

- Stay away from the negative thoughts. Instead, replace these thoughts with positive,
upbeat messages. The mind is powerful.

So, this morning despite not wanting to. I did. And I'm glad. I feel energized, accomplished, good.


Legendary football coach, Vince Lombardi said: 
“Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.” 
I'm not going there!

Instead, I'm with Aristotle:
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News