Monday, June 17, 2013

Criss-Cross Applesauce

Being overweight makes some physical things difficult. A basic everyday task like picking something up off the floor can cause a scene for an overweight person. At my heaviest weight of 388 pounds somethings would have to just stay on the floor until someone else offered to pick it up for me. Sad, I know.  Now that I've lost weight it's gotten much easier, but I still am unable to kneel.

Kneeling for most "normal" sized folks seems like an easy task. But, think about it kneeling is virtually a very deep squat. If you have excess weight on your body it becomes more difficult. If I have to grab something out of the bottom drawer or off the bottom shelf instead of  kneeling, I bend. Bending is much easier on my knees, but it's incorrect form. The more active I've become I notice stuff like that. I'm always envious when I see someone kneel down with ease. I think to myself one day, I'll be able to do that too.

Another simple function that I have on my to-do-list is to sit comfortably in criss-cross applesauce position. Again, I can do it, but it's a little problematic. It's the getting up and down off the floor that causes me havoc.

As most of you know, I never learned how to ride a bike because my weight hindered me (read previous blog post here). Today, with my new active lifestyle and renewed spirit, I'm ready to conquer riding a bike. I've decided that no matter what I want to do in life - big or small - I'm just going to go for it. So no more waiting around until I'm smaller, fitter; the time is now.  I'm going make it a point to kneel instead of bend. My wobbly knees will have to eventually get use to it. And, I'm going to practice sitting in criss-cross applesauce more often too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News