Thursday, May 10, 2012

Test Kitchen: No-bake Whole Food Energy Bars

I was super-excited to receive my first assignment for the upcoming cookbook. The team has asked me to include a whole food energy bar recipe in the book. Uh, one small issue...I've never tasted a whole food energy bar, let alone made one. I hear Lara Bars are the "In thing." So, first up, sample a couple of Lara Bars. I tried the Cashew Cookie and Chocolate Coconut Chew. They tasted pretty good.
 
Next:
  • Find a few base recipes using the ingredients listed on the Lara Bar packages
  • Tweak the recipes and put my spin on them
  • The fun part -- make the bars
I created three different bars-- no names for them yet. Simple (five or less) whole food ingredients. No additives. No sugar. No baking.

 
Here's a peek of testing,  Bar #1:

 
Ingredients for Bar #1
 

 
Pulsing ingredients for Bar #1
 
Finished product, Bar#1

Score card:

Level: Easy

+ : They were very fresh. You could just taste the goodness. Especially the Cranberry Almond one-- the cinnamon came alive in the mouth. The chocolate coconut one was perfectly sweet. The Cashew bar was salty, sweet.

-: Maybe a little too crumbly. Maybe more nuts to give them a firmer texture. Or place them in the fridge for a while. Hmm... Also, adjust the recipe to make a large serving.

Comments: I'll re-test again and have the team sample for their input. Overall simple, fresh, and delicious.

Grade: A -

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News