Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Busy living

White Water Rafting fun!
In 2009, when I set off on this journey it was about losing weight, all about losing weight. It's still about losing weight, but there is so much more.  This is a journey of self-discovery, love, passion, experience, and living life to the fullest.

Yesterday, I spent my 40th birthday paddling down the White Salmon River. It was my first experience White Water Rafting and what a spectacular experience it was! It was one of those experiences that made me glad to be alive. Traveling down the sometimes calm, but turbulent river, sun gently kissing my skin, and surrounded by nature. Awesome. Simply awesome.

My 19-year old daughter, Jasmyn joined in on the adventurous fun. Jr. was our guide for the day and two fabulous ladies, Susy and Leigh, all the way from Amsterdam were also in our group. The five of us had a blast -- talking, laughing, sharing stories as we paddled our way down the beautiful river. It was so cool! The water would be relatively calm and then all the sudden we'd hit a rapid -- the raft would move erratically and then a big burst of cold water would come splashing in. Aaaaaa...

I'm always blogging in my mind. Subjects are everywhere. So as I was paddling down the river taking in the beauty, the splendor. I was thinking of how I could share this experience with you. What I wanted to write, to convey how special, truly special this experience was.  This quote from the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" came to mind: "Get busy living or get busy dying."  It was an aha moment! That's what this is all about folks! I'm so busy living that I don't particularly obsess over the scale, how I look, or every bite I put into my mouth anymore. Sure, I still work out, want to achieve a certain goal weight, build strength, and eat healthy (most of the time), but now I realize there's so much more to it. This journey isn't about what I've lost, but rather it's about what I've gained.  My life isn't defined by moments. It's the sum of the moments that matter -- the days, weeks, months, experiences. Surely, I will continue to set goals as they keep me focused, grounded, but ultimately I'll stay busy living and the rest will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News