Monday, March 18, 2013

Outside of the Box: Cooking with kids

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I say it again -- I love what I do! Yesterday,  Colby, Trystan, and Cy showed up to my kids cooking class eager to cook and learn. Me and three young fellas a recipe for delicious fun!

On the menu: Hard cooked eggs, Brown Bag Popcorn with honey butter (reminiscent of Kettle corn), and Granola Berry Parfaits with made from scratch granola.

We started our time together discussing why we cook and eat OUTSIDE of the Box. My goal is to make the classes fun and provide information. The lessons in these classes go beyond food and beyond cooking. I show the kids how to use basic kitchen tools, basic math skills, and kitchen safety and cleaning tips -- they even washed the dishes -- I have proof (see photos).

In these classes the kids are exercising patience, they're sharing and taking turns, and bonding. A perfect example: Since Trystan was near me, I offered him a sneak sample of the granola we just pulled out of the oven. I looked over and he gestured to the others to share his sample with them. How cute is that?

On the food front:
- We discussed where the food we prepared came from
- Why it's best to eat seasonal, local food
- We talked about cage-free eggs, honey as sweetener instead of sugar
- And of course, we can make any and everything that comes from a package or a box from scratch.

As our time came to an end, I offered a little advice to the parents who attended the class: The lessons from your time in the kitchen with your kids is invaluable. It's a time of learning, sharing, bonding, and creating memories. Besides, how will your kids know how to make the family traditional meals if you don't show them how.  Read previous blog post, Tradition, love and recipes.

Doing what I love, loving what I do! Here's a look at our time together.









No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News