Thursday, January 3, 2013

Still Contract

I've lost a lot of weight, 170 pounds to be exact. I don't claim to be supernatural or anything. I know, I know. All this time you've been thinking I possessed some kind of supernatural powers. The truth is, anyone can do it. It's really just a matter of setting your mind to it. But there's the rub -- the hardest part is setting your mind to it.

For me, I was forced into this period of stillness by a series of unfortunate events -- the loss of my boyfriend, job, and car -- all in a six week period of time. So there I was all by my lonesome. Sitting still. During those still moments, I heard a nagging voice. A voice I probably would have otherwise never heard zipping around, multi-tasking in the everyday fast paced world. During those still moments, I made up my mind for once and for all (Get it--For once and for all, Farewell Fatso!).

I didn't squander this time. Instead, I recognized this time off as an opportunity and so I used the time to my advantage. I started taking walks around the neighborhood, in part, to keep me from going insane. Those walks, however, soon became my -- me time. When I wasn't out walking I spent a lot of time just sitting still. No TV, no computer, just quiet, still time to really mull things over. I envisioned the person I wanted to be. In retrospect, I was creating a mental vision board. Slowly, but surely, I started making small changes.

I'll admit, at first, I didn't really have a plan. I just took some random steps. But, overtime my steps, my actions became more deliberate. The more small successes I accomplished the bigger the steps I was able to take. I started believing in myself. Wellness coaches call that -- self-efficacy.

Once I started believing in myself. There was no stopping me, there is no stopping me. The way I see it, when I enter into a business arrangement with someone I take the time to mull over the contract. Then if I agree to the contract, I sign the contract. So that's what I've done to shed the pounds and find myself.

My word is my bond. I do what I say I'm going to do and if I can't do it best believe there is a really compelling reason why. I certainly don't go around just willy nilly breaking contracts with others. So the same holds true with the contracts I sign with myself. I sign on the dotted line and commit to myself. It's me first, not in a selfish way, but in a selfish way (a whole 'nother blog post for a whole 'nother time).

Hey, I'm proof...You can do anything you set your mind to. So if you have areas in your life that you are looking to change. Might I suggest -- sit still with yourself, sign a contract with yourself, and set your mind to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News