Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Outside of the Box: Cookin' with teens

Wow. Just when I think it can't get any better it does. Last night, I hosted a cooking demo for teens at the Cascade Park Community Library.

The youth and teens are our future. And, I'm proud and honored to help them make better, informed food decisions. I tell you -- it's the most AWESOME feeling, to look around the room at young enthusiastic faces and see their bulbs shining brighter and brighter as I introduce ingredients and talk techniques. My message is simple: Any and everything that is in a box or package can be made at home using fresh, whole ingredients.

To drive home the point, I whipped up a few healthy favorites -- Blueberry Banana Kale Smoothies, Cashew Whole Food Energy Bars, and two types of Brown Bag Popcorn (Parmesan and Honey Butter).

They were amazed at how easy these goods were to make.  When I asked them the burning question at the end of our time together..."Can you do this?" They all eagerly answered "Yes." Will you do this? Again they answered "Yes." Music to my ears.

Thanks again for having me, Linda Landi,Teen Librarian and Teresa Torres, Branch Librarian. And to the teens that came out thanks for a delicious fun time! Happy Shopping, Cooking, and Eating!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News