Thursday, April 7, 2011

278.00 – Obesity, Unspecified

I’m ticked off. Outraged. I mean, really? How dare they classify me as obese? I just received an Explanation of Review from my accident claim and they had the nerve to use ICD-9 code 278.00 Obesity – Unspecified as one of the primary codes for my hospitalization.  Meanwhile, the reason I was hospitalized 823.00 Closed Fracture of Upper End Tibia was the last code. Hah.

I realize that I’m still considered overweight, but to come in with a broken leg and be diagnosed as obese is insulting. Apparently, all they could see was my girth. Never mind, my broken leg. Those people have no idea what I’ve gone through to shed the pounds. What I’ve gone through to create a healthy, fit life for myself. Sure, at 388 lbs. I was obese, but no longer. I’m really bothered by this. I feel like placing a call to SW Washington Medical Center and telling them to shove it -- all $44,422.48. Jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News