Thursday, April 28, 2011

Perception

 I look forward to the day I’m no longer perceived as fat. I’ve already adjusted my mindset and kicked the demons to the curb that use to call me fat. I’ve come to realize that fat is a state of mind. I’ve been there done that with the self-loathing and negative thoughts of myself. Never to return to that mind frame again. Apparently, however, society hasn’t gotten the memo. Their eyes can’t see past my shrinking girth.

The other day when I visited the Orthopedic doctor’s office the nurse brought the extra large, extra wide wheelchair. That thing was ginormous. Do I really look that big? Seriously, I could’ve easily fit into a normal size wheelchair I know this for a fact because that’s what I usually use. But her perception of me was big, jumbo, fat. Humph. Just a couple of months ago I encountered the same type of labeling from the hospital when they used ICD-9 code, 278.00 Obesity as my primary code on my surgical stay for a broken leg.

When will the labeling end? I guess I should not worry about it. I guess it should be enough that I know within myself that I’m no longer fat. I just want to walk into a room and not have a fat label automatically attached to me. Sigh. Surely, once the fat label is gone there’ll be something else. The heck with society’s perception of me – again, I say I’m not fat, I’m beautiful, vibrant, energetic, and healthy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News