Monday, April 11, 2011

Renewing my efforts

I’ve been thinking and I’ve lost my way a bit. When I first created, Farewell Fatso! I was on a mission to create awareness about childhood obesity. Sadly, I admit, I have not been doing such a good job. As a product of childhood obesity, the childhood obesity epidemic is near to my heart. I want to do my part to help combat childhood obesity, anyway I can. So I’ve decided rather than make a whole lot of false promises that I can’t keep. I want to renew my efforts by posting childhood obesity information at least once a week. I want Farewell Fatso! to be a source for childhood obesity awareness among other issues. If I can find ways to do more, I will. Please if you have info you'd like to share on the page feel free to do so. Childhood obesity is everyone's problem. Let's do what we can to help. Enough talking already…Here’s what’s new - Beyonce has joined Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! Campaign – check out this article and video:

  
http://www.starobserver.com.au/celebrity-2/2011/04/11/beyonce-joins-bulge-battle/49027


AIso, PLEASE read a previous blog post I wrote, “Broken hearted.”

 

Broken hearted

This week my girlfriend and I took our girls to the park. We had a great time chatting and interacting with the girls - running, jumping, swinging, playing tennis, and getting wet. It was good old fashioned fun, playing outdoors, running free - not bound to video games and treats. Of course we did bring snacks: oranges, apples, grapes, cherries, cheese, raw almonds, and a few other healthy goodies. The fresh fruit was a hit. My friend’s two-year old especially liked the apples and cherries. Lil Mama was too cute running around with her cherry-stained mouth. Good times!

But, in the midst of all the fun, my heart was broken when I saw a little girl who was well into a serious battle with obesity. She stood about 4’6 and weighed about 120 lbs. From the sweet innocence in her eyes I would say she was no more than eight years old. She was so heavy she struggled to walk. I swear her stomach was so big she looked about five months pregnant. When I saw her I stopped mid-conversation, nodded my head in disbelief, and started to cry. After regrouping, I started shouting out rhetorical questions to my friend “What on earth is going on?” “Where are her parents?” “Why aren’t they intervening?” “This is a child for goodness sakes someone is suppose to be taking care of her.”  “Why isn’t someone taking care of her?”

I was and still am hurt to the core by the sight of this little girl. Most of my pain is because she reminded me of myself as a child. Oh, my God. I just wanted to run to her, shake her, hug her, talk to her, but it dawned on me even if I did talk to her it would be lost on her. For she is only a child. She needs guidance and support from her parents.

Parents with overweight children I plead with you to seek the help your child needs and deserves. Parents, you are the ROCK, you are the foundation – it all starts with you. Please call and make an appointment with your child’s pediatrician to develop a plan. In the meantime, check out these websites for tips:

http://www.letsmove.gov/
http://www.helpcurechildobesity.com/child-obesity-in-america-forums.html
http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/overweight_obesity.html


Afterthought: She was not the only overweight kid I saw at the park that day. There was another elementary school aged girl, a very round little boy, and a teen girl whose stomach protruded over her jeans. People - this is such a HUGE problem. We can’t sit back and let obesity claim our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News