Sunday, July 18, 2010

Broken hearted

This week my girlfriend and I took our girls to the park. We had a great time chatting and interacting with the girls - running, jumping, swinging, playing tennis, and getting wet. It was good old fashioned fun, playing outdoors, running free - not bound to video games and treats. Of course we did bring snacks: oranges, apples, grapes, cherries, cheese, raw almonds, and a few other healthy goodies. The fresh fruit was a hit. My friend’s two-year old especially liked the apples and cherries. Lil Mama was too cute running around with her cherry-stained mouth. Good times!

But, in the midst of all the fun, my heart was broken when I saw a little girl who was well into a serious battle with obesity. She stood about 4’6 and weighed about 120 lbs. From the sweet innocence in her eyes I would say she was no more than eight years old. She was so heavy she struggled to walk. I swear her stomach was so big she looked about five months pregnant. When I saw her I stopped mid-conversation, nodded my head in disbelief, and started to cry. After regrouping, I started shouting out rhetorical questions to my friend “What on earth is going on?” “Where are her parents?” “Why aren’t they intervening?” “This is a child for goodness sakes someone is suppose to be taking care of her.” Sigh. “Why isn’t someone taking care of her?”

I was and still am hurt to the core by the sight of this little girl. Most of my pain is because she reminded me of myself as a child. Oh my, God. I just wanted to run to her, shake her, hug her, talk to her, but it dawned on me even if I did talk to her it would be lost on her. For, she is only a child. She needs guidance and support from her parents.

Parents with overweight children I plead with you to seek the help your child needs and deserves. Parents, you are the ROCK, you are the foundation – it all starts with you. Please call and make an appointment with your child’s pediatrician to develop a plan. In the meantime, check out these websites for tips:

http://www.letsmove.gov/
http://www.helpcurechildobesity.com/child-obesity-in-america-forums.html
http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/overweight_obesity.html


Afterthought: She was not the only overweight kid I saw at the park that day. There was another elementary school aged girl, a very round little boy, and a teen girl whose stomach protruded over her jeans. People - this is such a HUGE problem. We can’t sit back and let obesity claim our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News