Monday, July 26, 2010

Go Green…

…with your diet! I have and I love it. I’ve retrained myself to make better food choices and it starts with the vegetables I choose. Now when I eat I think about the effects the food I’m eating will have on my body. Basically, I make a concentrated effort to eat food that will do my body good. It’s like the gas you choose for your car – if you fill your gas tank at ---- your car will be running on very little gas and quite a bit of crude.

So when picking vegetables, green vegetables are the best choice for your diet. Green veggies pack tons of nutrients, are ideal for weight management as they are typically low in calories, and most are easy to prepare.

Let’s take a look at some popular greens:

Arugula has a peppery taste and is rich in vitamins A, C, and calcium. Arugula can be eaten raw in salads or added to stir-fry, soups, and pasta sauces.

Broccoli has both soft florets and crunchy stalks, and is rich in vitamins A, C, and K, folate, and fiber. Broccoli can be eaten raw or steamed, sautéed or added to a casserole.

Collard Greens have a mild flavor and are rich in vitamins A, C and K, folate, fiber, and calcium. The best way to prepare them is to boil them briefly and then add to a soup or stir-fry. You can also eat collard greens as a side dish. Just add your favorite seasoning and enjoy!

Dandelion Greens have a bitter, tangy flavor and are rich in vitamin A and calcium. They are best when steamed or eaten raw in salad.

Kale has a slightly bitter, cabbage-like flavor and is rich in vitamins A, C and K. Kale is tasty when added to soups, stir-fries, and sauces.

Mustard Greens have a peppery or spicy flavor and are rich in vitamins A, C, and K, folate, and calcium. They are delicious when eaten raw in salads or in stir-fries and soups.

Romaine Lettuce
is a nutrient rich lettuce that is high is vitamins A, C, and K, and folate. It is best when eaten raw in salads, sandwiches or wraps.

Spinach has a sweet flavor and is rich in vitamins A and K, folate, and iron. Spinach tastes great eaten raw in salads or steamed. (My all time fav – my nickname should be Popeye).

Swiss Chard
tastes similar to spinach and is rich in vitamins A, C, and K, potassium and iron. It is best stir-fried or eaten raw in salads.


Did You Know? Dark green leafy vegetables are good sources of many vitamins and minerals your body needs to stay healthy, such as vitamins A, C, and K, folate, iron and calcium. They are also great sources of fiber. Research suggests that the nutrients found in dark green vegetables may prevent certain types of cancers and promote heart health.

Source: CYWH Staff at Children's Hospital Boston

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. We just don't think enough about the options we have. I find myself getting stuck in the iceberg and spinach rut, but you can really dress up a salad with some spicy greens. Do you know of any calcium rich veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hello there! I'm glad you enjoyed, "Go Green With Your Diet." I created this post because I don't think people realize all vegetables are not created equal.

    To answer your question, arugula, collard and mustard greens are great sources of calcium. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News