Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Weighty Matter

I work so hard at the gym and with my diet. I have a friend who described my determination as, iron willed. Consequently, when I meet with my fitness coach to get weighed and measured I get a little anxious. After all, the ultimate tale of my progress comes down to the numbers on the scale and with a tape measure being wrapped around my body. So it’s perfectly normal then to feel a little antsy right? Well, today’s the day I hop on the scale. My mind is racing with thoughts; please let the bright red display show how hard I’ve worked. I’ve been such a good girl.

Hold up, wait a minute. No sooner than I wrote the last paragraph it dawned on me – that’s nonsense. That’s the beauty of writing I’m working through thoughts and feelings. Certainly, the numbers are indicators of my progress. But, the numbers DON’T dictate my success. Sure it’s important to track these numbers because in the end the goal is to decrease them. But, for heaven’s sake, I’m more than a number. All my hard work is not tied to a scale.

My hard work and determination is evident in many other ways. First, by eating better and exercising I’ve decreased my odds for developing a slew of health issues. If I stopped at my current weight and maintained it my overall health has been vastly improved. Next, I’m breaking through a lifetime of barriers by confronting obesity head on. Today, my outlook on life is much brighter than it was even six months ago -- I’m happier, friendlier, more vibrant, and heck even trimmer.

So no matter what the numbers are on the scale today or any day for that matter, I’m not defined by them. This journey is not only about the weight loss, it’s about me improving my overall health, attitude, and life.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” Greg Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News