Monday, January 30, 2012

Guilty indulgence

I couldn't help myself. Before I knew it I had put them in my cart. I was enticed by the low price of 99 cents. I kind of see why the .99 fast-food value menu works for some. As I put them in my cart I felt a little guilty. Without me checking the label I already knew the blueberries were not grown locally -- there's no way they could be. There's no where within a 200 mile radius that is warm enough to produce blueberries this time a year. That would mean the blueberries came from far, far away. Sure, enough the label read "Product of Chile." I rationalized: If I didn't buy them other customers would. Besides, they were already shipped over 5,000 miles -- why shouldn't I indulge in them? Hmm...That's a fully loaded question. One I'm afraid to even try to answer. Let's just say I enjoyed the blueberries with a little bit of Greek Yogurt and they were delicious. Shame on me for indulging in non-local blueberries.

A while ago I mentioned I wanted to write a series of blogs "Stewards of the Earth" that would explore:
  • Sustainability
  • Feedlots
  • Food deserts
  • Organic food 
  • Local food
  • Milk - The Truth
  • Plant based diets 
Well, I think my guilty indulgence is the perfect way to get that series started.  Coming up soon a blog post about local produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News