Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Real talk

I must preface what I'm going to say, by saying, I don't want to discourage anyone. I certainly want everyone to pursue a healthy, fit lifestyle. I want everyone to reach for their goals and be the best they can be. It's just that since I've been through it and am going through it -- weight loss and pursuit of fitness, I would like to offer my unsolicited advice.

Yesterday, I was at the gym and New Year's resolution folks were packed in there like sardines. I looked around and seen people who were pumped up, some looked rather lost, and some who had teamed up with a friend. If  you fall into the category of  folks who has deemed that beginning January 1 you are going to be fit and healthy. I caution you, this is more than a New Year's resolution, this ladies and gentleman is a lifestyle resolution. It's best you sit down and create a realistic plan for yourself that includes small steps. My concern is too much, too soon and then if results aren't seen you may become discouraged. Results, real results, lasting results from exercising and eating properly take time. This will not happen overnight. Whether you need to lose 10 pounds or 100 pounds.

If you're like me once your committed to doing something you like to dig in and go for it. That's fine and dandy, but please understand that this is a lifestyle change and a few weeks of exercise and eating right won't classify you as healthy or fit. This is going to take hard work and perseverance.

Another thing, I've noticed lots of different weight loss challenges going on. These are great ways for folks  to come together and jump start a fitness plan, receive support, tips, and motivation, but again it will take more than 30, 90 days. I hate to burst your bubble, but I just want you to be realistic. Have a plan. Take your time. It's your whole life.

I know, it can be done. I'm the gal who has lost 170 pounds through diet, exercise, hard work, staying the course, believing in myself, and never giving up.

This article may be helpful too:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News