Monday, July 30, 2012

Repost: Do You

This post was originally written about two weeks after Farewell Fatso! made it's debut. Just think if I would've listened to the person who was trying to give me advice... Thank goodness I didn't.

Along my journey to combat obesity and create a healthy lifestyle for myself --I’ve shared my trials, triumphs, and story with plenty of people. For the most part, people are very supportive and are truly excited for me. Of course, there are those who  half-heartedly listen to my story for fear they may have to look at themselves and re-evaluate their lifestyles. And, then some folks like to give advice on how I should proceed on my journey. Since I'm not really a private person and I have the propensity to open up to people. Sometimes folks feel they need to give me advice – even if I’m not particularly seeking it.

Recently, someone suggested to me that perhaps I should focus on myself more and not worry about helping others by blogging,*facebooking, and helping parents with their overweight children. After all, I still have plenty of weight to lose before I meet my weight goal…So maybe, just maybe I should take care of me, first.

Long pause. Deep breath. Regroup.

The truth of the matter is my blogging, facebooking, and helping others is actually very cathartic for me. By reaching out to you all it helps me work through my feelings, and furthermore it keeps me accountable knowing I have all of you rooting for me. Besides, what am I to do, wait until I lose all the weight and then begin my work? I don’t think so. I’m not promised tomorrow. None of us are. So I’m doing my thing today.

Here’s my unsolicited advice to you. Do you. Heed others opinions with caution. Remember, you have to be comfortable with the course you are traveling. Don’t let anyone dictate the path you take to get to your destination. In all likelihood the person giving the advice is trying to be helpful, but when it comes down to it, you have to know within yourself the road you travel is at your pace. No doubt, along the course you may hit some road bumps those are to be expected. Stay the course.

In closing, this journey is mine. Me, and only me, chooses the route I take. The course, I’ve decided to travel includes: Blogging, facebooking, and reaching out to the public in hopes to help and inspire. All aboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News