Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Repost: Forward movement and change

This re-post seems fitting...Deep into production of my upcoming cookbook, Shop, Cook, Eat: Outside of the Box, I had to make a difficult change. A decision. For a myriad of reasons, I had to change print companies. Since they printed my first cookbook I felt I owed it to them to let them print my sophomore effort. Loyalty I guess. But it was becoming more and more apparent that it wasn't the place for my second book. That's okay. We don't have to stick with something if it's not working out, it's not working out. Move forward. Next.

Change is good.  Change is frightening. Change is liberating. Change is necessary.   So often we become stagnant in our everyday lives and are afraid to make changes. Even when the changes are for the better. It could be the smallest change: a new hair cut, maybe spruce up our living room with a new bold color paint, or buy a new daring pair of shoes. Then there's the major changes: dump the partner that is zapping our energy, quit the dead end job, or lose those unwanted 30 lbs. Whatever it is that is keeping us in a negative place we often opt to stay there because we're fearful of making the changes and putting in the necessary work. It's a crazy oxymoron.

Everything is going well in life all is fine and dandy. We find ourselves in a comfort zone. We like our job, our partner, etc., but there are always areas that we can improve to make us better.  I'm always looking for ways to improve, grow. I strive everyday to be better. I refuse to become complacent and sit still. Life is about forward movement. My weight loss and self transformation journey to date is the BIGGEST change I've ever made. I say this all the time, this is a transformation from the inside out. Besides, making changes in my diet and becoming physically active. There were plenty of things I did NOT like about my character:

  • I'd tell someone I was going to do something and then I wouldn't. And, to boot I'd have a flip attitude about it if they asked me about it. 
  • I gave up really easy. If anything caused a challenge. Forget it. Game over. I quit.
  • I didn't value myself and had a horrible desire for validation from others
  • Negative outlook
  • Selfish, selfish, selfish
I've had to take a long hard look at myself and make all sorts of changes. It's been a long painful yet very rewarding journey. Sometimes, I wonder when will I stop changing.  I think, I can honestly say-- never.

For those in a comfort zone. For those in a negative place. I challenge you to find it within yourself to make the necessary changes to do whatever is you want to do, reach for whatever goal you want to reach, and become the BEST person you can be. One thing is for sure, you can't keep doing the same things and get different results. If you've been contemplating making changes in your lives - the time is now. Here's to forward movement and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News