Monday, August 26, 2013

Google life




I just got off the phone with a lifelong friend, Katina (we’re both entrepreneurs). We were talking about work and life while we both were lying on our beds relishing in the fact that we could start our days a little later and to our own beat. She's tired after a long weekend. I’m just tired. The 9-5 business world would say that we should gear up and start the week with a bang, it's Monday after all.

We hung up the phone: She decided she wasn’t going to fight it, but instead was going back to sleep. I headed to the kitchen, made coffee, checked email, and started this FB status, which turned into a blog post. By us starting our days later does that mean that we aren't hard workers? Heck, no! Quite the contrary, we give 200 percent because when we work we are all there.

During our phone call we talked about companies like Google that embrace life, family, and a non-traditional 9-5 workday. It seems to me the 9-5 work day is antiquated and boxes us in. Some folks biologically just do better in the afternoon, some do better with their dog near by, and some do better if they can break away for a power nap in the middle of the day. My point is we all are wired different. We need more companies to recognize that, to embrace that.

One day soon when I come into a position of hiring folks I will embrace differences and look for those who are looking outside of the traditional 9-5 game. I’ll start with a non-traditional method of hiring: an application with only a few questions – core questions, no standard interview either.  My method will seek out those who are willing to work hard and think, really think. Recognizing that some of us aren’t able to work or think innovatively in a standard 9-5 office environment. I say this as I’m sitting on a stability ball at 11:00 a.m. at my home drinking coffee.

While I realize that certain professions will always be 9-5. I also recognize that there will always be folks that are looking to change the game and move us closer to a work style that embraces our everyday lives and that’s where I want to be.

On my path to a healthy, happy life: Mind, Body, and Spirit. I’m always thinking, learning, and growing. Most of the time I move to my own beat even when others looks down on me for doing so.  I’m sure most people would have thrown in the towel long ago.  But, for me I want more than a standard 9-5. Someday when I get to a place where I can, I will bring others along with me that want the same.

The late Steve Jobs said: “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition….”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News