When I first learned that brown rice was the best choice, I resisted. Sometimes, I would prefer to go without the rice because it just didn't taste the same. It was too crunchy, too nutty. Ha. But, since it was the better alternative for me health wise I continued to prepare and eat it. Low and behold the very reasons I use to not like it are the very reasons I like it. White rice just seems like fluff, there's no substance. When you eat brown rice you are eating the whole grain which makes you become more satisfied.
The way I see food now is completely different than in the past. I now understand food is fuel for my body, so my goal is to fill it with premium goods. My latest food discoveries:
- Kale is king of the greens!
- Sautéed collard greens are just as good if not better than the southern cooked way.
- I can enjoy a meal without meat. Actually, kinda prefer it.
- Buns are overrated. If I indulge in a cheeseburger I omit the bun or replace it with tomato slices.
- I really, really like whole grains. Especially, my new found friend, wheat berries.
- Fruit is nature's goodness.
- Vegetables make all meals better.