Friday, March 2, 2012

Retrain your brain

Retrained: Breakfast
Eat a meal that doesn't consist of meat, by choice. Never. Brown rice instead of sticky white rice. Seriously. Greens and eggs for breakfast. Nope.  It's been a long time coming, but I've changed my eating habits for the good.

When I first learned that brown rice was the best choice, I resisted. Sometimes, I would prefer to go without the rice because it just didn't taste the same. It was too crunchy, too nutty. Ha. But, since it was the better alternative for me health wise I continued to prepare and eat it. Low and behold the very reasons I use to not like it are the very reasons I like it. White rice just seems like fluff, there's no substance. When you eat brown rice you are eating the whole grain which makes you become more satisfied.

The way I see food now is completely different than in the past. I now understand food is fuel for my body, so my goal is to fill it with premium goods. My latest food discoveries:
  • Kale is king of the greens! 
  • Sautéed collard greens are just as good if not better than the southern cooked way.
  • I can enjoy a meal without meat. Actually, kinda prefer it.
  • Buns are overrated. If I indulge in a cheeseburger I omit the bun or replace it with tomato slices.
  • I really, really like whole grains. Especially, my new found friend, wheat berries.
  • Fruit is nature's goodness.
  • Vegetables make all meals better.
I love food. I'm proud of myself for retraining myself to enjoy it without abusing it and make better conscious choices. I've retrained my brain. You can do it too, start with some small adjustments and if you don't particularly like it the first time try it again. You may find that you can learn to like it. Think of the health benefits. Food is meant to nourish our bodies. If you think of it that way, retraining your brain will come easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News