Friday, October 7, 2011

Privilege

As I gaze around my Wellness Coaching class. I see a room full of white, privileged students. I've been in this situation before when I earned my bachelor's degree from Seattle University.  Back then, however, I didn't really fit in, I was a miserable 388 lbs. I was withdrawn and afraid to speak up in class. The students were running circles around me, intellectually and physically.

No longer. I'm a part of the circle. The only thing separating me now from the others in class, is the color of my brown skin. Otherwise, I'm right there with them. I pack healthful snacks: mini peppers, apples, carrots. I tote a SIGG water bottle. I sport athletic attire too. I'm alert. I ask questions. I'm engaged in thought and in conversation. I'm healthy, fit and the more I think about it, I realize how privileged I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News