Friday, November 4, 2011

My Playhouse

Oh how, I miss my playhouse, the gym. Since I started classes in the Fitness Trainer program six weeks ago. Ironically, working out has not been a priority. I think I've worked out maybe four times. Surely, exercise goes beyond the gym I know that. I do workout in my Exercise Techniques class and I walk the campus at a brisk pace, but it's still not the same.

The walls of 24-Hour Fitness Columbia Tech Center is where I've turned a lot of negative into tons of positive. I learned a lot about myself in the very walls of that gym. I found myself in some compromising positions in boot camp, cycling, Yoga, and even Zumba. Sweating. Panting. Being pushed to the limit. Training with Steve always is a good time, but it's not easy work. He asks me to do things I would never do on my own. He's right there telling me, I can, when I'm on the brink of giving in to fatigue, embarrassment, or both.

For me working out has become a major part of my life. I'm the gal who typically works out five to six times a week. I'm the gal who three weeks after having a metal plate with 14 screws inserted in her leg to reattach the tibia was at the gym doing upper body workouts. I'm the gal at 294 lbs. who stood at the front of the room her very first time in Zumba class. I'm the gal who graces the wall of 24 Hour Fitness as a Member Success Story. I'm the gal who gets it in -- no matter. What happened to that gal? She still exist she's just dormant right now. I just can't DO everything. There's only 24 hours in a day. I do what I can -- I watch my diet. Like, Steve, says it doesn't matter what I do at the gym, but it does matter what I eat. So I've made sure that during this weeks I've buttoned up my nutrition.

I've met some wonderful like-minded people at the gym. I've even received emails over the last few weeks from some of them saying they miss me -- totally cool. The gym is so much more to me than just a place to workout. It's a place where I go to connect. A place I  go to have fun, hang out, and get my workout on. I miss sweating, pushing my limits, and chatting it up with my gym buddies. I'm starting to have some major withdrawals. I'll make my way back to my playhouse soon, real soon. Until then...hold it down for me y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News