Friday, December 9, 2011

Alive and kickin'


July 2011 © Vivian Johnson, The Columbian
My weight loss story was featured on the front page of  "The Columbian" back in July. Since then the blog has really taken off, I've went on to motivational speaking, teaching cooking classes, writing and self-publishing a cookbook. Surely, without the coverage I would have went on to do these things as well, but there's something about being featured in the newspaper. It's kind of cool to see your name in print, have your story told through the eyes of someone else, you reach more people, and it gains you a certain level of respect.

I'm a journalist by trade and believe in the nature of journalism. Print journalism - newspapers, however, have suffered since the rise of the internet. After the responses I've received after each article written in "The Columbian" I'd have to say newspapers still do make an impact --  they are alive and kickin'.

Thanks to the staff of "The Columbian" for helping me share  my story with the community. I want to reach as many people as I can and they've helped me do just that. 

A recap:

Woman packs on happiness as she sheds pounds - July 2011
Woman winning obesity battle featured on 'AM Northwest' - August 201
Chrisetta Mosley keeps inspiring - September 2011
Welcome new health bloggers to Columbian.com! - September 2011
Cooking up weight-loss success - December 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News