Thursday, February 2, 2012

No offense

Farewell Fatso! display at Cascade Park Library
Farewell Fatso! is my attempt to make light of some pretty heavy (no pun intended) matters: Obesity, childhood obesity, weight loss. When I created the blog and Facebook page I did mull the name over, ran it by my closest friends, and the final conclusion was well, Farewell Fatso! I realized that there may be some folks who would deem the name as offensive. Surprisingly, throughout all these months I've never had one person comment on the name. Until, today I was at the library where I'm due to speak later this month. I was  speaking with the librarian and checking out the HUGE poster advertising the event on display in the lobby. The librarian mentioned that she received a complaint saying that the name was offensive. The librarian explained that it was the name I chose and so ...

I can respect that some folks feel that it's offensive, but it's my way of dealing with my personal battle with obesity. For me losing 170 pounds to date, can't be done in silence or without a sense of humor. This is my way of dealing with my everyday struggles with food, exercise, and becoming the best person I can be. Although I hid behind it, and dressed it up for a long while -- being fat has caused me a lot of heartache. Being fat has made me feel less than. Being fat has held me back from living life to it's full potential. So when I started the journey to shed the pounds, really shed the pounds, and find myself the name that resonated with me-- was and still is Farewell Fatso! I'm saying goodbye to my old childhood nemesis, obesity and this is my way of doing it. It never was, nor is my intention
to offend anyone.

I've said it before many times and I'll say it again with pride -- For once and for all, Farewell Fatso!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News