Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy knees

My grandmother use to say, "I'm no flim flam fool," but sometimes I certainly act like it. It's only been 6 1/2 months since having Open Reduction surgery to repair Tibial Plateau Fracture and I thought it would be a good idea to try and deadlift. Really? My trainer, Steve, was less than thrilled about the idea, but he knew from the look in my eye there was no stopping me. So he figured he should at least help me with my form and grip.

Well, my hard-headed, stubborn nature caused me to tweak my almost rehabbed leg/knee. For the last few days my leg has been really bothering me and my foot very swollen. Yesterday, I went to visit my Orthopedic doctor to tell him of my concerns.  Here's what I found out:

  • I should NOT perform deadlifts, jumping jacks, jogging, or any motion that will jar my leg. Duh, I just underwent MAJOR leg/knee surgery. Steve is just saying "I told you so."
  • Cycling is the best option for me it will keep my knees lubed and is the safest, best overall bang for my buck. Again, Steve is just saying "I told you so."
  • As an alternative swimming would be another great form of exercise.
  • Deadlifts are only good for football players. None of us common folk need to strengthen those particular muscle groups. Besides, he said most folks do them wrong.
  • Dynamic workouts are okay for athletes, but most people overuse them and cause more damage than good. 
  • Squats are overrated. No real reason to perform them.
As we closed our visit he advised me to stick with the cycling it creates "Happy knees."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News