Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Too much

My dear friend who is mother of an eight year old obese daughter called to tell me that she finally has decided to make some changes to their diets by introducing fresh veggies and fruits. Good for her for taking control of her health and her children's health. If her daughter had cancer or diabetes she would take the necessary steps to care for her. So why should preventing obesity be any different?

My friend went on to tell me that she was stocking up on carrots because the little girl really liked carrots and she wanted her to be able to snack on them endlessly. After all, it's only carrots, right? Hmm...Wrong. Bear with me, y'all.  I feel as if too much of ANYTHING is not good for us. I think by allowing her daughter to eat carrots until she's orange is not the right approach either. Sure, carrots are full of nutrients, vitamins and low calorie, but I think allowing her to have the mindset that it's okay to overeat is still in play here.  The healthy approach is to allow her to have some carrots until she is comfortably full. It's the mental - obsessing over food. Take it from someone who's been there, done that -- too much of anything is no good. Everything in moderation. Yes, even carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News