Friday, May 27, 2011

Just ask and you shall receive

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but beyond my pursuit of a healthy lifestyle. I also am dealing with normal everyday life: Single mother raising a teenage daughter who graduates from high school in two weeks, juggling finances, household chores, and of course in the midst of all this rehabbing a fractured leg while trying to stay focused on my nutrition and stay active. It makes sense every now and then my system crashes. So last week after discovering "I'm NOT what I use to be" I decided to take some time to regroup, refresh, renew. Well, it turns out I spent most of the time self destructing: Sleeping too much, eating too much, and being highly self-critical. It wasn't until yesterday when I finally decided - enough.

One of the things that has changed about me during this transition to a healthier lifestyle is my snap back time. If I  encounter a bump in the road, I don't sulk long and I'm not afraid to seek help if I'm feeling vulnerable. I recently read an article that discussed the importance of weight loss support groups - that's one of the reasons groups like Weight Watchers are so effective and popular - the support system. Some folks like the accountability, receiving advice, and praise.

So yesterday, a week into my state of funk I knew I was at an all time low. Normally, I can self-motivate. I mean, who better to pump me up than me? Well, it wasn't working. My system had crashed and I needed to reboot. Instead, of continuing to eat, sulk, eat. I called the help desk and got my assistant coach, Steve (Personal Trainer) on the line for some much needed support. I met Steve at 24 Hour Fitness several months ago and he instantly started helping me with nutrition, exercise tips, and he's one heck of a motivator. One of the things I like about him is he's non-judgmental. I can tell him exactly how I feel -- and boy do I tell him. He never looks down on me (He seems to understand a big girl's plight). He turns my negativity around and pushes me in the right direction. Yesterday was no different he reminded me of all that I've accomplished and gave me a gentle push.What stands out most from our conversation was him saying " It's really is a battle of you versus you." By golly, he's right I'm in control of my own destiny. That's exactly why I called him. The old me would've stayed in the self-destructive state and not have asked for help. The new me recognizes I can't do this alone nor do I have to. I have a team of supportive, encouraging people who are willing to help me. Just ask and you shall receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Obesity Epidemic is REAL!

The evidence of an epidemic is everywhere.

· Two-thirds, more than 190 million Americans are
overweight or obese.

· Obesity-related diseases are a $147 billion dollar
medical burden every year.

· Childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years


Source: CBS News